By PWE_BranFlakes @ December 3, 2013 at 12:00pm
Q’s Winter Wonderland Rewards
As with previous years of our Winter Event, Star Trek Online is introducing many new presents and toys to play with this holiday season! Let’s start with a brief overview of what’s changing in this year’s version of the event:
Players will be able to obtain Holiday Commodities in an additional way this year by completing the new winter queued event “Winter Invasion” and unpacking the Mysterious Box of Cookies and Treats rewarded therein. Two traditional methods of collection are also still viable options: either participating in the Snowball Fight against Q’s dastardly snow beasts or purchasing a Holiday Collectible Bundle from the Lobi Crystal Consortium will earn you 8 Holiday Commodities.
- Holiday Foods: All of the various Holiday Foods that were offered during last year’s event will now be available by baking them, rather than buying them! Exploring the “Winter Invasion” event can award all players with a recipe. Take that recipe to the Winter Chef in Q’s Winter Wonderland to work with you to bake. All buff durations of these foods have been extended to 60 minutes, and several new foods have been added. These foods are only beneficial while the Winter Event is active (afterwards, they will return to their previous effectiveness). These food items can once again be fed to Tribbles to create …
- Winter Tribble: By feeding any of the Holiday Foods to any standard Tribble, you may breed this festive furball. Petting this breed will grant captains with resistance to Repel, Knockback and Cold Damage, and will extend this buff to all nearby allies while the Winter Event is active.
- Holiday Scarves: New scarves have been added for Romulan and Reman characters! Available with and without the distinctive Wings of the Raptor iconography, these scarves channel the spirit of more classic Romulan uniforms with their purple-tinged grey color scheme. Right-click on a scarf in the Winter store interface to see a visual preview of it.
- Winter Jacket: Two new colors of Winter Jacket have been added this year – Green and Red! These new color variants come in all models of Jacket previously awarded by the Winter Event. Right-click on a jacket in the Winter store interface to see a visual preview of it.
- Advanced Holiday Weaponry: This year, new advanced weaponry has been added to the Winter store! Whether you want to deep freeze your enemies with “The Snowblower”, smack your snowman foes with tiny snowballs released by the dual pistols known as “Hail”, or pelt your targets with high-velocity gumdrops from the gumdrop shotgun known only as “The Big One” – there are weapons to match your playstyle of choice.
- Nanopulse Lirpa or Bat’leth: Functionally identical to last year’s model, this year’s Nanopulse versions of each of these traditional melee weapons will glow with a distinctive Green hue when activated by Federation or Klingon personnel.
- Gingerbread Pet: There are six new gingerbread pets available from completing the Winter Invasion queued event, representing five different species that can be seen throughout the galaxy. Ever wondered what an Orion or Vulcan gingerbread-person might look like? Wonder no longer – these and more have a chance to be collected from Q’s Mysterious Box of Cookies and Treats, awarded each time you complete Winter Invasion.
- Winter Devices: Two new devices have been added to the event this year. A Snowball Mortar can be acquired through the Winter store, while Q’s Mysterious Box of Cookies and Treats may contain a Frigid Lump of Coal if you’ve been naughty (or just unlucky)! The Snowball Mortar fires large blasts of snow at nearby snowman enemies for a short duration, while the Frigid Lump of Coal will enable you to transform into a Snowman while in Q’s Winter Wonderland.
Old winter reward favorites, such as the Frosted Boots, Unmelting Snowballs, and much more, can be purchased this year via the Holiday Item Vendor, or the “Store” tab in the Event Reputation interface.
This year, we’re also adding another Winter Featured Starbase Project that will allow Fleets who complete it to display a special NEW Breen Ship ornament in their Starbase interior. This decoration can be toggled on and off once active, and the featured project will cost only Holiday Commodities – no other inputs will be required.
And finally, of most import to some of you, we arrive at the Grand Prize of the Winter Event. Many of you have guessed that we might update the Winter Event’s starship prize this year, and it is my genuine pleasure to announce the Breen Plesh Brek Heavy Raider as this year’s proverbial present. While more detailed information about its stats and special console will be posted in tomorrow’s Dev Blog, I’ll say this much – it’s a Raider, minus a cloaking device, plus a substantial playstyle upgrade that will be coming to the Raider class as a whole at a future date.
However, for anyone who was unable to acquire the Breen Chel Grett Warship last year, you’ll have a chance at obtaining it this year. Choosing which ship you wish to receive is simplified by the Reputation system – instead of haggling with a Ferengi Q fanatic, you’ll input your autographs of Q into the Event Reputation project of your choice. Players who have autographs saved up, or those looking to purchase more autographs via the Lobi Crystal Consortium, could even get their hands on both!
And how would a Starship Captain like yourself manage to get your hands on these rare and valuable trinkets?
Each day you will be gifted with forty (40) Autographed 8×10 Glossy Pictures of Q upon successfully completing the “Fastest Game on Ice” (the same race seen during last year’s Winter Event). This means that players that can participate in the event 25 times during the 35+ days that the Winter Event will be active will have earned their way to a FREE Starship!
If, by some stroke of bad luck, you find yourself incapable of participating in the event the required number of times, this does not mean you’ll have missed your chance to earn a Breen ship! The Lobi Crystal Consortium is selling “Q’s Appreciation Package” for just 5 Lobi Crystal, which will contain 2-6 of his sought-after Autographs. Although this is a large investment in Lobi Crystals for players seeking to purchase the ship outright, remember that the price can be significantly reduced by simply running the “Fastest Game on Ice” on a daily basis.
We hope that this year’s additions to the Winter Event Rewards are pleasing to you, and we look forward to seeing you out on the ice and shrunk down into Q’s Snow Globe for “Winter Invasion”!
NOTE: The minimum level for players to participate in Q’s Winter Wonderland is 10+.
Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton
Star Trek Online
- – - – -
Click here to learn more about Legacy of Romulus, our free-to-play expansion for Star Trek Online. Advance your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy with a Legacy Pack purchase! Click on the logo below to learn more about it.
Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Star Trek Online on Facebook for more exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Star Trek Online videos.
- – - – -