By admin @ November 4, 2011 at 5:19pm
Space Skills Revision
With today’s release on Tribble, we are proud to present to you the first step in a major overhaul of the STO skill system.
First, a big thanks to all those who participated in the forum thread we posted some weeks ago about this update. We received a lot of good feedback that we incorporated into this update. There was a lot of enthusiasm and excitement about the improvements, which encouraged us that we were on the right track. We hope everyone will find these changes to be big improvement to the game.
Second, a caveat. The changes that went to the Tribble test server today are the first revision of a very large overhaul. We fully anticipate bugs and balance problems. Nothing about the system is final, and we will be looking for your gameplay feedback. There is plenty of time for revisions, so we look forward to getting your feedback on the changes.
Coming with these changes will be a free respec. Technically it’s not a respec token like we have done in the past—this one is not optional. When you log into the Tribble Test Server (and eventually on Holodeck when this goes live), all your skill selections will be reset and you must re-select all your skills.
This skill update is just the first step. Only space skills have been updated at this time. Ground skills remain unchanged, except 3 space skills were moved into the ground skill section. We plan on overhauling the ground skills after we get feedback on the space skill changes.
Let’s go over why the skills are being revised. There are three main reasons for the changes:
- Starfleet/KDF Training skills kept players from changing ships – If you did spec into a Star Cruiser, you were discouraged from trying an Escort because you had to respec (or you had to spec your skills broadly and could not specialize if you wanted to change ships often).
- Tactical skills discouraged players from using anything but Phaser, Disruptors, Photons and Quantums – It has been too expensive to spec into skills like antiproton, since the skills cost almost twice as much for the same bonus.
- Skills are confusing – What the heck does Astometrics do anyway?! It has been very confusing to cross reference which skills are affecting which abilities.
Here what the skills changes will look like:
As mentioned earlier, we have only updated space skills. Once the dust settles, we will work on updating ground skills.
Here is an overview of the new ship skill list:
- Starship Weapons Training – Improves all starship weapon damage.
- Batteries – Increases duration of battery consumables.
- Starship Hull Repair – Improves all Hull Healing abilities. Also improves Hull Regeneration rate (regeneration modified by percentage of alive crew).
- Emitters – Improves all Shield Heal abilities.
- Flow Capacitors – Improves all Shield Draining and Energy Draining abilities.
- Starship Energy Weapons Training – Improves all starship energy weapon damage (Beams and Cannons).
- Starship Projectile Weapons Training – Improves all starship projectile weapon damage (Torpedoes and Mines).
- Starship Subsystem Repair – Decreases the time it takes to get your subsystems back online (modified by percentage of alive crew).
- Starship Warp Core Efficiency – Adds bonus power to all subsystems when power is low in that subsystem.
- Structural Integrity – Adds bonus Ship HP.
- Shield Systems – Adds Shield HP.
- Power Insulators – Adds Resistance to Energy Drain and Shield Drain attacks.
- Targeting Systems – Improves Accuracy.
- Starship Maneuvers – Improves Defense.
- Electro-Plasma System – Improves Energy Transfer Rate. Improves abilities that grant power (e.g. Emergency Power to X).
- Starship Warp Core Potential – Bonus power to all systems.
- Impulse Thrusters – Improves Speed and Turn Rate.
- Graviton Generators – Improves Knock/Repel and Slow abilities (e.g. Tractor Beam, Photonic Shockwave, Gravity Well).
- Particle Generators – Improves all Exotic damage (e.g. Damage from Photonic Shockwave, Feedback Pulse, Isometric Charge).
- Attack Patters – Improves all Attack Pattern abilities.
- Stealth – Improves Stealth and Cloak.
- Starship Engine Performance – Adds bonus Engine Power.
- Starship Shield Performance – Adds bonus Shield Power.
- Hull Plating – Adds Energy Damage Resistance.
- Sensors – Improves Stealth Detection. Adds Resistance to Confuse and Placate.
- Inertial Dampeners – Adds Resistance to Holds, Disables, Knock and Slows.
- Energy Weapon Specialization – Improves energy weapon critical hit chance and critical severity.
- Projectile Weapon Specialization – Improves projectile weapon critical hit chance and critical severity.
- Starship Auxiliary Systems Performance – Adds bonus Auxiliary Power.
- Starship Weapon Systems Performance – Adds bonus Weapon Power.
- Armor Reinforcements – Adds physical damage Resistance.
- Subspace Decompiler – Improves Hold and Disable abilities (including disabling of subsystems).
- Countermeasure Systems – Improves Confuse and Placate abilities.
Note that Engineering Team Leader, Science Team Leader, and Tactical Team Leader have been moved to the career specific trees (and renamed). They are still Tier 1 skills, and all classes will continue to have access to all 3 skills. These skills, however, may change once we begin the ground skill revisions.
We fully expect that this new system to have some bugs and balance issues. We look forward to your feedback and helping us fine-tune this system.
Star Trek Online