By admin @ February 7, 2012 at 3:06pm
Cardassian Lock Box
Starting after the maintenance this Thursday (February 9, 2012), a new item will begin dropping as loot in the game. This item is called a Cardassian Lock Box.
When a Cardassian Lock Box is opened, it will grant the character that opens it a random reward. These rewards range from a rare starship, to some great new items. The possible rewards are:
- A box with a Cardassian Galor class cruiser starship.
- A box with a powerful cross-faction starship console. When opened by a Federation character, it contains the Graviton Pulse Generator console (which is normally only available to Klingon players who purchase the Puyjaq Raptor), and when opened by a Klingon character, it contains an Impulse Burst console (which is normally only available to Federation players that purchase the Gladius Escort). This is the only way to get a console that is normally restricted to the other faction, making these consoles especially valuable.
- A box with a Crossfire Tribble. This ground combat themed Tribble provides a small damage boost in shooter mode and a small damage resistance in RPG mode.
- A Duty Officer Pack just like the ones sold in the C-Store.
- A Large Commendation Boost, which grants a 20% bonus to Commendation XP for up to 10,000 CXP before it is fully consumed.
- A smaller Commendation Boost, which grants a 20% bonus to Commendation XP for up to 2,000 CXP before it is fully consumed.
- A Skill Point Boost, which grants a 20% bonus to Skill Points for up to 1,000 SP before it is fully consumed.
- A box with a shuttle pet. When opened by a Federation character, it contains a Runabout companion pet. When opened by a Klingon character, it contains a Toron shuttle companion pet.
- A box with a Dilithium Horta companion pet that can be used by both Federation and Klingon characters.
- A box with a Sehlat Cub companion pet that can be used by both Federation and Klingon characters.
- A box that when opened unlocks the Deep Space Nine Federation Costume Pack for the account. It can be opened by either Federation or Klingon, but the resulting costume parts are only usable by Federation characters on the account.
- A Shield Pack box. This box contains a random blue or purple quality shield for a starship or personal shield for ground use. The item awarded is at the appropriate level for the character that opens the box.
- A box with a stack of Gamma Quadrant commodity items for use in Duty Officer missions. There are 6 different commodity types available, and you’ll get a 5 item stack of one of the types. These are used for some new DS9 themed Duty Officer missions that are being introduced at the same time as the Cardassian Lock Box.
- A box with a stack of double bonus consumables that improve two stats in combat, instead of just one. For example, a Shield and Auxiliary Battery. There are 8 different consumables (4 for space and 4 for ground) available, and you’ll get a 5 item stack of one of the consumable types.
All items that can be awarded by the Cardassian Lock Box can be traded or sold on the auction house to other players. So if you get something you don’t want or need, you can trade them away. The Lock Boxes themselves can also be traded or auctioned if you don’t want to open them.
To open one of the Lock Boxes, a character will also need an item called a Master Key. Master Keys can be purchased in the C-Store for 100 CP, or in a 10-pack for 900 CP. If you attempt to open a Lock Box without a Master Key, you will get a message explaining that you need one. If you have more than one Master Key, then only one key will be consumed each time you open a Lock Box.
While playing, be on the lookout for special Gold Lock Boxes! These boxes have significantly higher odds of rewarding the more desirable items.
Complete details on the Cardassian Lock Box will be available in an FAQ that will be released on Thursday. Details on the Galor class starship will be the subject of tomorrow’s blog.
Make sure to take a look at our Cardassian Lock Box FAQ here.
Star Trek Online