By PWE_BranFlakes @ October 23, 2013 at 12:00pm
Fleet System Expansion: Spire Outpost
Earlier this year, we released our third fleet holding, the Dilithium Mine. This previous holding focused on increasing fleet project efficiency by reducing input costs. In Season 8: The Sphere, we’ll be introducing the Spire, our fourth fleet holding.
The Spire can be most closely compared to the Embassy, in terms of it being more about providing high-end equipment than it is about providing fleet convenience and discounts. That being said, there are some excellent benefits for fleets that progress through the Spire holding’s tiers.
As with the Dilithium Mine, the Spire’s environments are broken down into two different regions: system space and the Spire’s interior. The Spire’s system space exists within the massive Solanae Dyson Sphere. Here, you will have a view of your fleet’s Spire and get an idea of just how big this structure really is.
Upon entering the Spire’s interior, you’ll find yourself in a structure built by an ancient alien species who have long since abandoned the confines of the Solanae Dyson Sphere. The smooth walls of the dimly lit interior have a unique feel to them, and this space truly comes to life once featured projects are completed.
The Spire can be compared to the Embassy and Dilithium Mine for the amount of effort and resources required to achieve Tier 3. Like the Embassy and the Dilithium Mine, the Spire has one main track and two sub-tracks.
Spire (Main Track)
Progressing through the Spire holding’s main track will reward the fleet with access to new starships, fleet perks specific to the Solanae Dyson Sphere’s content and standard fleet holding conveniences such as mail, bank and exchange access, as well as a ship selector contact. This track gains experience via completion of upgrading your Research and Operation sub-tracks. The reward highlights for the Spire are:
- Three tiers of Atmospheric Flight Training to help reduce the Atmospheric Friction found in the Dyson Sphere’s Space Adventure Zone. (Purchased through vendor for small amount of Fleet Credits)
- Two tiers of Command Credit Discounts. Command Credits are used to call reinforcements in the Ground Battle Zone. (Automatic Fleet-wide Upgrade)
- Spire Transwarp Transporter (Construction Project)
- A Reinforcement Bonus that allows players belonging to a fleet to more quickly secure objectives in the Dyson Sphere’s Space Adventure Zone. (Automatic Fleet-wide Upgrade)
- New Ships (Purchasable with Fleet Modules, Fleet Credits and Starbase Military Fleet Ship Provisioning)
- Fleet Peghqu’ Heavy Destroyer* (KDF Only)
- Fleet Chimera Heavy Destroyer* (Starfleet Only)
- Fleet Daeinos Heavy Destroyer* (Romulan Republic Only)
- Fleet Kar’fi Battle Carrier (KDF Only)
- Fleet Caitian Atrox Carrier (Starfleet Only)
- Fleet Ar’Kif Tactical Carrier Warbird Retrofit (Romulan Republic Only)
*Purchase of these starships requires 1,000-day veteran status
Upgrading the Research track will grant the fleet access to new Warp Cores, Hangar Pets and Tactical Consoles. The rewards found in this sub-track are:
- 3 tiers of the [REDACTED]’s Hangar Pet (Can be equipped on any starship with a Hangar Bay)
- Advanced and Elite Plasma-Integrated Warp Cores (Starfleet and KDF Only)
- Advanced and Elite Thoron-Infused Singularity Cores (Romulan Warbirds Only)
- Mk XII Fleet Tactical Consoles
Upgrading the Operations track will grant the fleet access to new Fleet Ground Kit options, Voth Duty Officers and addition Duty Officer Active Roster Slots.
- Six Mk XI Fleet Ground Kit variants (2 for each profession)
- Six Mk XII Fleet Ground Kit variants (2 for each profession)
- Voth Scientist Duty Officers
- +1 Ground Active Roster Slot
- +1 Space Active Roster Slot
How did fleets obtain access to the Spire?
The allied forces fighting the Voth for control of the Solanae Dyson Sphere are liberating Spires on the surface of the Sphere, as seen in the 5-player queued event “Storming the Spire.” Once freed, Joint Alliance Command is granting these Spires to fleets to protect and use as they see fit.
How do I access the Spire?
Like the Embassy and Dilithium Mine, you can find the Spire holding in the holdings tab in your fleet window. All fleets will have access to the Spire’s exterior and interior maps immediately.
Where is the Spire?
The Spire’s physical location is within the Solanae Dyson Sphere at the edge of the Delta Quadrant. Once Season 8: The Sphere goes live; you can travel there from the Tau Dewa Sector Block. However, you can unlock a transwarp option that will transport you directly to the Spire from sector or system space.
Does the interior and exterior of the Spire change as new tiers are unlocked?
The Spire’s exterior changes when Tier 1 is unlocked as power is fully restored to the massive structure. The interior of the Spire’s changes come largely from Featured Projects which enable such features as an orrery, a balcony overlooking the Dyson Sphere and a command room, to name just a few.
Will there be special featured projects available for the Spire?
As mentioned above, yes! There are eight special featured projects planned which unlock many interactive features.
Do the Dilithium Mine’s discounts apply to the Spire?
Yes. Any discounts unlocked from the Dilithium Mine will apply to the input costs on the Spire in the same way they would apply to the Embassy or Starbase.
- – – – -
The Spire will provide another avenue of progression for fleets and allow them to offer more rewards and benefits to their members. These, along with the new social environment and new possibilities, combine to provide fun, interesting, and most of all, Trek experience for the fleets in STO.
We can’t wait to see the progress your fleets are certain to make on the new Spire Outpost. We’ll see you in-game!
Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
Star Trek Online
- – - – -
Click here to learn more about Legacy of Romulus, our free-to-play expansion for Star Trek Online. Advance your journey of rebuilding the Romulan legacy with a Legacy Pack purchase! Click on the logo below to learn more about it.
Want more game details, screens, and videos? Like Star Trek Online on Facebook for more exclusive content and follow us on Twitter – tweet us your questions! And, subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest Star Trek Online videos.
- – - – -