By admin @ May 21, 2010 at 9:06pm
Four Months In!
Star Trek Online launched four months ago, and we’re still having a blast. And churning out a lot of content and improvements! We hope you guys have been noticing it – actually, we’re pretty sure you’ve been noticing it, since a lot if is in response to your comments . By the way, keep that feedback coming!
Let’s take a brief look at …
… What We’ve Been Up To:
4 STFs – Infected, The Cure, Khitomer Accord, Undine: Terradome
2 New Fleet Actions
Fleet Actions for Klingons
Klingon Star Clusters
Borg HUB, Episodes, Star Clusters, deep space encounters …
Memory Alpha rework
Space auto-fire improvements
Klingon Joined Trill
Inventory Stacking improvements
Civilian Clothing options
Aid Mission Revamp
Fed vs. Fed PvP
Ground Assault PvP
MkX equipment stores
More costume pieces and playable species
And, like, a billion pages of patch notes of other stuff, here.
Everything Coming Soon (That Isn’t Part of Season 2)
You may have already seen it in d Stahl’s engineering reports, but we have a lot of great things coming in the next several months:
- The Accolade System – I know how much you guys have been wanting this, and I have to admit, I’m pretty stoked about it, too. Track your achievements. How much phaser damage have you dealt in your career? How many Federation officers have you shuffled off this mortal coil (assuming you’re playing a Klingon. No killing your allies, guys!)?
- The Squad System – This will let you team up with other players who aren’t in your level, and lets your effectiveness match so you can play together.
- Balance Adjustments – We have those DPS/recharge/global-ability-cooldown adjustments that many of our high-end players have been requesting. Log into Tribble and check them out. Give us your feedback! We’re testing it out now, so this is when we need to hear from you the most. Also – don’t forget to log into Tribble to “play with the devs” early next week. We’ll be there, will you?
- UI Improvements – We’re working on a window that will show you when rewards happen during normal character advancement (powers, unlocks, bridge officer reqs, etc.).
- Bug Fixes and Improvements – We’re always working on fixes and improvements, because a game developer’s job is never done.
But I’m betting a lot of you know this already, because you all read dStahl’s engineering reports, right?
Just so you know, though, we’re going to have to put out those reports without dStahl’s help for a little while, since he’s off becoming a dad right now.
Season 2 is nearly upon us, and we’ve been working on a ton of content for that release:
- Minigames – Yes, ThomastheCat, there really is a Santa Claus. Or, at least, there really will be minigames in STO. As of update 1.3, you’ll be able to play Dabo at Quark’s. And we’ll be adding several more minigames throughout your ship and the galaxy in Season 2. There’s a great thread about minigames on the forums. Jump on board and chime in!
- Federation Diplomatic Corps – Federation players will be able to focus more on non-combat content and gain rank within the Diplomatic Corps. There are some very cool rewards in there, and some new diplomatic/exploration Episodes and missions. In fact, I played through a new “First Contact” scenario yesterday …
We see a lot of potential for future diplomatic updates.
- Faction Free Episodes –The majority of Episodic content we’re adding to STO will be faction-agnostic. Both Klingon and Federation captains will be able to play through this content (although, probably not together – unless you really want to). The Breen Episodes and the high-end episodes in fluidic space will be available to Klingons.
- Klingon Exclusive Episodes – Because everyone loves Klingons, right? Season 2 has several Episodes just for Klingons. (The Fek’Lhri are scary, but I so want to fly one of their ships …)
- Bumping the Cap – We’re moving the cap up 6 grades to Vice Admiral 1. There will be more rewards and more content for those of you up at the end of the game.
- Ship Interiors – I have walked the curved hallways of my crew deck on the way to MY ten-forward …
- Weekly Content – We’re looking to start rolling out an Episode every week. Like a “STO Tuesdays” sorta thing (it may even happen on Tuesdays, but no promises on that one). We’ll start rolling out weekly Episodes after Season 2 goes live.
- Fleet Logos, High End Content, and Beyond … all before the end of July.
Season 3 and Beyond
We’ve started taking polls, and we’re going to keep doing it. Right now we’re beginning to work out the major features we want in Season 3, and we want to know what you guys most want to see.
Yes. We’re looking at adding another faction. Which do you want first? Romulan? Cardassian? Borg?
We’re also looking at adding user-generated content to the game. How would you rank that against a persistent sector PvP game? Against Fleet Starbases? Being able to “Alt- your BOff” and call him to fly along side of you?
These are things that we’ll be starting up polls for over the coming weeks – so pay attention and get your vote in! (Man – I was surprised the NX didn’t show up higher in the last ship poll …)
We’ve still got a bunch of people cranking out bug fixes/content/feature updates for the game. As you can see from the list above – this is largely driven by YOU. Keep posting on the forums, keep telling us what you want – I think it’s working well.